Saturday, February 5, 2011

Mourn for Hena

On Drudgereport.com today, I read about Hena, a 14-year old Bangladeshi girl who was raped by her 40-year old relative. The punishment: a fatwa was issued ordering Hena to receive 100 lashes. She collapsed after 80 lashes and finally perished from her injuries.

Words escape me. If nothing else, this demonstrates that Muslim women are considered second-class citizens. Actually, not even that. The pervert relative and those issuing and carrying out the fatwa should be the ones who received the 100 lashes.

When will people see Islam for what it is?

Brunch with Esther and then a Movie

Esther called and told me she’d be in Brandon this morning. We decided to have breakfast/lunch together. I had breakfast (Belgian Waffle, bacon and eggs) and she had lunch (Chicken Pistachio Salad). All was delicious as I expected.

I asked if she had seen The King’s Speech. She had not and since I wanted to see it again, we did just that. As you know if you follow this blog, I have seen the movie before. It was just as good as I remember and I was just as moved as before. If only we had a leader like George VI here in this country. After all, you can learn to overcome a speech impediment, but changing a person’s essential character is something else entirely.

My Writing Prompt…

Prompt: “When I woke up the next morning…”

When I woke the next morning, it was gone. I know it was there the previous night, counted on it being there when I awoke, but it was not to be. “Where had it gone?” I asked myself, but had no answer.

Perhaps this has happened to you. You go to bed with a resolve that the next day will be different, but you awake and all of your good intentions have somehow disappeared overnight. You decide that you can wait until the next day to make the changes you would really like.

It’s a vicious circle and, let’s face it, somewhat discouraging. Surely, we should have more discipline than what we display when we allow ourselves to – dare I say it? – PROCRASTINATE.

Say after me: “I solemnly vow that I will do what should be done when it should be done and not delay doing it.”

I think that’s great and, starting tomorrow, I’ll do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment