Monday, February 21, 2011

Unknown

I couldn’t believe I would have so much trouble looking up the movie Unknown on the Internet, but I did. There was a film by that name imade in 1927, one made in 2006, and the one in theaters now starring Liam Neeson, January Jones, Aidan Quinn, Diane Kruger and Frank Lagella. There are lots of car chases and lots of other action. If you like a movie that makes lots of twists and turns and that keeps you guessing, this is the movie to see.

One of the best parts about going today is that I ran into my dear friend Sue Damels and her husband Chuck.They were there to watch the same movie. They also enjoyed it.

It’s kind of late (8:56PM) and I’d like to go to take some Benadryl and bed now, but I really want to stay up late enough to see Harry’s Law, that new TV show starring Kathy Bates. In the meantime, I guess I’ll use several paper towels to catch the faucet in my nose.

Writing Prompt: Someone’s playing the radio

Someone’s playing the radio … talk radio. I know they are. It can’t just be conversation. There are too many commercial-like spots with musical slogans for it to be a few friends getting together.

Don’t get me wrong. I love talk radio and listen to it most of the day, but that’s different from hearing someone else playing it. It’s just loud enough that you can hear it playing, but not loud enough to hear what they’re saying. After all, I might have an opinion about what is being discussed.

Years ago, when you spoke of someone playing the radio, it usually referred to music. There was no such thing as talk radio. Oh, there were shows like Amos and Andy, Our Miss Brooks, The Lone Ranger, The Shadow, George Burns and Gracie Allen, Fibber McGee and Mollie, and … well, I could go on and on, but I won’t. Suffice it to say, it was very different from radio today, especially talk radio.

I think the first talk radio I ever heard was WHAM - 1180 AM from Rochester, NY. I may have the call letters wrong and even the number on the dial, but I’m sure the first talk radio I ever heard was from Rochester. At night, they would broadcast full power and reached all the way to Painted Post, NY, but we mainly listened to them while we lived in Victor and Canandaigua.

I don’t remember what they talked about with one exception: Was front-wheel drive better than rear-wheel drive? I think the only front-wheel drive car at the time was the Oldsmobile Toronado (manufactured 1966-70), at least that was the one this persistent guy would call about. He was evangelistic in his support for the car. According to Wikipedia, these were the first front-wheel drive cars sold in the U.S. since the 1930’s.

They were a big tank of a car as you can see from the images I downloaded from the Internet:

Toronado 1 toronado1

In any case, if you are playing the radio and it’s loud enough so your neighbors can hear, either turn it down so they can’t  or turn it up enough so they can understand what’s being said. Sounds that resemble  the adults in the Peanuts movies can be really irritating.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment