Saturday, February 5, 2011

February 4, 2011 - Lazy Hazy Crazy Day of Summer (Oops…Winter)

This is for Friday, February 4, 2011. I thought I published it, but apparently I goofed up somehow.

It’s is currently 80 degrees here in Florida. I know telling some of you that is like rubbing salt in raw wounds. There’s a gentle breeze blowing and the sun is evident, though there are quite a few puffy clouds in the sky, enough so the sun doesn’t feel too hot.

Kathleen’s Kindle Gone…

Kathleen’s 2nd Kindle Working Great

This morning, I packaged my old Kindle and took it to the Truck-stop of America where there is a UPS drop-off box. Before that, though, I had to go see my cousin and use his printer. I don’t have one now – they take up too much space and most of the time I don’t need one.

I was glad to get the new one and have already used it a lot. I’ve already played 11 games of Scrabble and have won 8 of them, giving me a win percentage of 72.72727%. I sure like the 100% a lot better. But, I’ll keep at it, though I know I can never again get to 100%.

I’m currently reading Body Double by Tess Gerritson, which features characters you’ll see in the TV show Rizzoli and Isles. I’ve read a couple of other books featuring these characters. This one really takes place earlier than the others I’ve read. They are terrific books.

I’m also reading a print book titled The Silas Diary by Gene Edwards. It’s a fascinating book, one of a series based on characters found in the book of Acts. It really makes you think.

My Writing Prompt

Prompt: Write about a black and white photograph

I have a lot of black and white photos, but one of my favorite is one taken when my mother was a little girl. Of course, all of the photos taken when she was little were black and white photos. After all, she was born before Kodacolor, the color negative film marketed by Kodak between 1942 and 1967. Even Kodachrome, the color reversal film, was not on the market until 1935.

Mom did not have as easy a childhood as that portrayed by this particular black and white picture. It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words. In this instance, I think it’s true and I’ve included the picture at the end of this piece.

Mom was the youngest of eight, nine if you count her half brother. He was born to my grandfather’s third wife long after Mom and all of her siblings were grown up and gone.

In this picture, Mom is sitting on the hood of her dad’s car. My aunt Ruth is sitting on the front bumper while my aunt Lana, with a huge smile on her face, is leaning on the shiny front fender. My uncle Paul, who is the youngest of the boys, is balanced on the running board, while my uncle Bert leans on the hood. My grandfather Pierson, dressed in long-sleeved white shirt and tie, is leaning on the open window of driver’s door.

Mom didn’t remember this picture being taken and I never thought to ask anyone a number of important questions. In fact, the picture raises more questions than it answers: Why were they all dressed up? Who took the picture? Where was the picture taken (we think maybe Lamoka Lake)? Where were Uncle Ike, Aunt Iona and Uncle Kenny? Was one of them taking the picture? My mother’s mother died shortly after Mom was born, so her absence is explained.

They look like such a happy family and I think, even with all of the hardships, they probably were. I know they all loved and respected each other. They loved to spend time together.

In later years, Mom and her three sisters used to meet once each week to play cards: penny ante poker, Euchre, and a number of games I don’t remember. My cousins Richard and Ethelyn and Mark and I were often lucky enough to join them. Nobody won a lot and nobody lost a lot, but we sure did have a lot of fun.

In a very real sense, this is a snapshot in time, one that appears, at least, to captures happy times. I sure hope so.

Aunt Lana, Uncle Bert, Uncle Paul, Mom on the hood, Aunt Ruth in front and Grandfather Pierson at Lamoka Lake

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment