Friday, February 11, 2011

Why I Moved to Florida

This morning at 6:32, when I woke up, I checked the temps in some of my favorite places and was reminded why I moved to Florida. (Did I tell you how much I love my new iPhone?)

Place Temperature
Thonotosassa, FL 50 degrees
Corning, NY MINUS 8 degrees
Johnson City, NY MINUS 8 degrees
Lawrenceville, GA 32 degrees
Lexington, NC 18 degrees
Milan, TN 4 degrees
Ulysses, PA 7 degrees

 

The Eagle

Today, I went to see the movie The Eagle, a film starring Channing Tatum, Jamie Bell and Donald Sutherland. I must admit to having some misgivings about the movie, but I found it very interesting. For those of you who are Jumper fans, Jamie Bell played Griffin in the movie.

Marcus Aquila, played by Channing Tatum, is a Roman centurion assigned to Britain. He distinguishes himself in battle, but is troubled because his father, who was also a centurion, led 5000 troops into northern England and nothing was ever heard from him or them again. This brought shame to the family name and caused the Romans to build Hadrian’s Wall to keep the people from the north from coming into Roman-occupied Britain.

The story may depart from history quite a bit, but it made for an interesting story and spoke greatly about courage, loyalty and honor.

 

Writing Prompt: This is how my heart was broken.

Isn’t it ironic that this prompt should come on February 11th?

Forty-four years ago today, Mark and I were married in the Christian and Missionary Alliance Church in tiny Ansonia, PA. It was a snowy, cold day, but we didn’t care. We spent many wonderful years together until he passed away on December 4, 2002. On that day, my husband, lover, dearest friend and companion went to be with Jesus. Of that I am sure.

My heart broke. I still miss him every day, though I don’t talk about it much, but special days like this one are much harder than others. Anniversaries bring to mind all of the good times we had together and some of the challenges two strong-willed people faced getting along together.

Yes, my heart was broken and yet I rejoice that he is free from the problems of this world, he is free from pain and sorrow, and that I will see him again. It’s hard to believe it’s been almost nine years since he left. Whenever I’m feeling down, I just remember his smile and his hugs. He was a great hugger.

When I’m trying to make decisions, I still hear his voice, and sometimes I listen, just like when he was alive.

Yes, my heart was broken that day, but the Holy Spirit isn’t called the Great Comforter for nothing. And, as 1 Corinthians 15:19 says, “If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.”

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment