Saturday, April 23, 2011

Talk, Talk, and More Talk

Today, I mostly spent talking with people. I spoke with my cousin Richard, my nephew Greg, my sister-in-law Rose, my sister-in-law Esther, my sister-in-law Margie, my brother Ray and my cousin Ethelyn. Everyone is doing well.

I had a little excitement today. I left to get some stuff at Publix and, while I was gone, my sister-in-law Kathy left the house after setting the security alarm. This should have been no trouble. I shut off the alarm yesterday with no trouble. Well, that didn’t happen today.

I put in the correct code and the alarm just kept beeping. I tried it again and it just kept beeping. After a minute or two, this loud whooping siren started sounding. Nothing I did had any effect. I tried calling my brother (who is out of town). It went to voice mail. I tried the number for my sister-in-law, but got my nephew Greg’s voice mail. Apparently, Kathy gave her phone to Greg at some point after I enter her number in my list of contacts. 

You can imagine how distressing this whole situation was and I didn’t know the code word to give the alarm company, but that didn’t matter since they never called. The whooping eventually stopped, but the alarm remained set. About half an hour after the alarm finally quit beeping and whooping, there was a knock on the door. A handsome, young Lawrenceville police officer stood on the steps.

I explained the situation and he managed to make the alarm stop. He was so kind and understanding. He even brought in the package and mail the mail delivery person put on the front step.

I felt a lot better after he left.

I’m reading a great print book by Brad Thor called The Apostle. It’s a thriller that, so far, takes place mostly in Afghanistan. I’m also reading a book on my iPhone by Alan Bradley called A Red Herring Without Mustard. The heroine is Flavia de Luca, an 11-year old chemistry fanatic. I’ve read several books about Flavia. She lives in England with her father and her two older sisters.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment