Monday, March 28, 2011

Off the Grid News

Food prices are now at a 20-year high and will climb higher and higher as a result of a number of things, including the conversion of food to fuel, drought in places that grow the food, the shrinking value of the dollar, etc. etc.

The following web site has some great information and you can sign up for a newsletter that always has a number of helpful or “eventually need-to-know” info.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/

Today, for example the newsletter had articles on making your own yeast, protecting your garden from grasshoppers, and even an article on solar water heaters.

You’re probably asking why anyone would want to know how to make their own yeast. I just found it fascinating. I’ve kept sourdough starter, but never even considered one could make yeast. What if the economy goes into hyperinflation and you can’t afford the price of a loaf of bread. With yeast. flour and water, you could make your own. Actually, you could do the same with sourdough starter, but yeast bread is a little different. Not everyone likes that sour flavor in sourdough bread.

Mark and I had a solar water heater in our house in Brandon and it was amazing. It saved us about 40% of our electric bill and we never had any trouble with it. I’m sure the solar technology is even better now.

I’ve had a terrible time today keeping my internet connection on – more than usual, but it’s been raining and thundering and lightning all day long so I guess it’s not too surprising.

Well, back to my book. I read one today that took place near Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge and brought back many memories made with Mark and Dave and Carolyn Parks when we went there for a week.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment