Saturday, June 25, 2011

1861: The Civil War Awakening

Yes, it’s true, I’m still reading the book 1861.In fact, I still have 130 pages of the 429 pages to go. Reading a novel is much faster. I would probably have read it in about 3-4 hours if it were a novel, but this book makes you think. I cannot imagine how the author (Adam Goodheart) ever learned so much info and then was able to put it down on paper.

He brings up so many things I have never thought or heard about. Have you ever heard of the Wide Awakes? Contrast thie: Although more than 300 of the 1000 or so men in the officer corps resigned to join the Confederacy (that’s about 1/3), only about 26 privates out of all 16,000 defected to the rebels.

I have, of course, heard about Fort Sumter being the place where the Civil War started, but never realized what an effect the defeat of the Union forces there had on the support for going to war on the part of the North.

Today, I was reading about Fortress Monroe (near Hampton, VA) and was struck by what one Union scout had to say bout his wok …”covered with wounds inflicted, not by the Secessionists, but by their allies the misquitoes (sic), who swarm in the woods, and whom nothing can induce to secede.” Apparently, the war did not cause them to lose their sense of humor entirely.

Today, it rained off and on and thundered almost all of the time. I never even left my home. I finished putting together my B&D Workbench, made some really delicious Spanish rice, and did some dishes. What an exciting life I lead.

Don Martin, who lives across from 134 Wildwood Ln and has been a great friend to both Richard and me, passed away yesterday. He has been in the hospital/rehab facility since March. I’ll miss him a lot. He always joked and kidded around, but he is home with the Lord now and no longer is in pain or struggling to breathe.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment