Friday, June 24, 2011

A Great Resource

A friend of mine sent me the following link to the vast collections of the Library of Congress. Did you know you can access all of the 65,000 documents re: George Washington, personal letters, etc. etc.  Check it out:

http://www.loc.gov/index.html

So sorry to hear that Peter Falk (better known as Columbo) passed away today. He was a great actor and provided many hours of entertainment for countless of his fans.

Since I  had to wait for my cousin’s handyman today so I could let him in the shed, I decided it would be a great day to do the laundry. I not only did the laundry, I went to Walmart and to the library even though I’m not quite finished with 1861 The Civil War Awakening. I should be by tomorrow. It’s a very interesting book about well, the year 1861 – the year the Civil War started. I’ve learned stuff I never knew and have a new appreciation for what led up to the civil war. The author even talks about beards and facial hair. Abe Lincoln apparently never actually campaigned for president. It just wasn’t done in those days (except I guess Stephen Douglas managed to do so on the pretense of visiting his family throughout the country.)

I learned a lot about Charlestown Harbor, Fort Moultrie, Castle Point and Fort Sumter. Did you ever wonder what happened to our Congress and cabinet officers when South Carolina and then a bunch of other states seceded from the Union? If you want an interesting observation of that year, read the book. You won’t be disappointed.

We had a real pour down today – a gully washer – just as i was going in the house on my way back from Walmart. Now, it’s just thundering, but I think it will probably rain again. I hope so, now that I’m in for the evening.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment