Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Living in Florida

I don’t think I’ve ever spoken about how much I love living in Florida. Today, on my way to see Super8 at AMC Regency Theater, I saw two Sandhill Cranes pecking around in someone’s front yard..These are pretty good-sized cranes with red on the top of their heads. I see one or two of these almost every week. According to Wikipedia, these birds also live in Northern Siberia. What would have thought it?

image

Sure, it’s hot here (it’s been in the 90’s every day for days), but the sun shines almost every day – much better than being constantly cloudy and depressing all of the time.

The movie Super8 was a Steven Spielburg/J.J. Abrams collaboration and, as you can imagine, an excellent movie. “Super8” refers to the type of camera (Mark and I had one) with which you can take videos, but without sound. The primary actors were teenagers and I didn’t recognize a single one of them, though the Super8 web site says one of the stars is Elle Fanning, Dakota Fanning’s sister. What an actress she is. Kyle Chandler of Friday Night Lights plays a Deputy Sheriff and the father of one of the kids. These kids are terrific actors and the action is non-stop. Everyone should see this one.

Between last night and today, I read a couple of Iris Johansen books. I don’t think I’d ever read any of her books before, but they are thrillers with good plots and well-developed characters. Thankfully, our library has quite a selection of them.

I have a couple of Jonathon Kellerman books to read and then it’s back to the library.

By the way, I was so disappointed to hear that Michelle Bachman hired Republican strategist Ed Rollins to run her campaign. He’s a RINO (Republican in name only) and a classic politician. It’s awful to see someone with great, conservative ideas and ideals working with someone like him. I probably won’t be rooting for her anymore. I guess it’s natural to judge people by the people they have around them.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment