Saturday, July 2, 2011

Beatrix Potter

Today, I read a book by Susan Wittig Albert called The Tale of Hill Top Farm: The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter. I’ve heard the name Beatrix Potter, but never realized what I knew about her. She is the author of a number of illustrated children’s books, notably The Tale of Peter Rabbit, Squirrel Nutkin, The Tailor of Glucester, Benjamin Bunny, Two Bad Mice, Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, and The Pie and the Patty-Pan. I vividly remember sitting on my mom’s lap listening to the story of Flopsy, Mopsy, Cottontail and Peter and their run-ins with Farmer McGregor.

Susan Wittig Albert does a wonderful job of bringing Beatrix Potter to life and, in novel form, blends the story of Ms Potter’s purchase of Hill Top Farm with some mysterious goings-on in Sawrey. I almost didn’t even start reading the book, but I did and am very glad of it.

If you get a chance, you might want to read it. I doubt you’ll regret it.

I took care of a few household chores today. After all, I don’t want you to think I laze around all day doing nothing but reading – well, I guess I mostly do, but I’m retired so I guess I can.

Now, I’m off to read another of Susan Wittig Albert’s China Bayles books. I hope I have enough books to last me through Tuesday when the library opens again.

Sometime this weekend, I plan to start watching the Harry Potter movies in preparation for seeing the final movie, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. I’m already re-reading (listening to them on my iPod) and am on the sixth of seven: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment