Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Dr. Tom, Cousin Richard, and Complete Surrender

Last night, I slept all night until the alarm went off about 5:30. It was refreshing not being in pain after lying down for a couple of hours. I walked just before my chiropracto’s appointment. Dr. Tom did a treatment on my hip and another on my knee. Today, I’ve been pretty much pain-free.

I went to St. Pete and had lunch with my cousin Richard. That British pub (Horse and Jockey) has some of the best fish and chips I’ve ever had. Of course, I didn’t have the chips, but had the side salad instead. It’s been a long time since I’ve had potatoes or bread.

This afternoon, I finally finished (for the fifth time) archiving my cassette tapes to iTunes. I also wored some more on copying my VHS tapes to DVD. I have just 3 more to do. The first one from our trip to Las Vegas just finished and I put in the second. It starts during our trip to Bryce Canyon. Two more tapes (not of out west) and that job will be done.

I also checked a shoe box full of slides and pictures to make sure I had already scanned them. Fortunately, I had. One I came across was of my uncle Ray. My brother Ray and I (my middle name is Rae) were both named for him. He died on Omaha Beach. Isn’t he a handsome man? How sad that his life was cut short.

 

Uncle Ray (killed overseas in WWII)

Tonight, I watched Raising Hope. It’s a real funny show about a very dysfunctional family, but tonight was really touching. We find out the father of the boy who is “raising Hope” has been dressing up as a monster every Halloween since Jimmy was a little kid. Jimmy gets very scared and runs home where he jumps into his father’s arms for a big hug. Apparently, as Jimmy got older, he stopped hugging his father and this was the father’s way to get good hugs. Hugs are so important and can really show affection, provide comfort, and make us feel safe. Be sure to hug the ones you love.

Tonight, for dinner, I surrendered completely to my longing for a sub. I drove down to Blimpie’s and got a 6-inch Blimpie’s best, but I did get it on whole wheat and skipped the chips. I didn’t skip the Mountain Dew, however. I know I’ll regret the soda later – caffeine will no doubt keep me awake. Tomorrow, it’s back to my disciplined eating habits. Who knows, I may actually lose weight by fooling my body into thinking I’m not trying to. Not very good justification, but there you go.

Well, there’s my special wisdom for today.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment