Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day and Jerusalem

Memorial Day

Iwo Jima Monument

Today is a very special day. In our family, this is the day when we traditionally honor not only those in the military who have passed, but also the day we would go to cemeteries in the area and “decorate” the graves of other loved ones who have passed. I guess this is why the original name of Memorial Day was Decoration Day.

Today, I remember so many who have passed on. I can’t even begin to name them, but they are people who bring a warm spot in my heart. The thought of them makes me smile and, because they are gone, makes me a little sad. It was such a privilege to know them and to have my life touched by theirs.

And, of course, it is for all of the veterans who have given their lives for this country or who have suffered untold pain to help secure our freedom. May God bless all who serve or have served. May God protect our military and make us truly thankful for all they do for us.

To me, one of the most moving monuments in all of Washington, DC is the Iwo Jima monument. I first saw it in 1963 at about 5 in the morning. It was still dark and my friend and I were driving around looking at all of the wonders in DC when we came across this. In the dark, it is more powerful, but I didn’t have a camera which would capture it in the dark. If you go to DC, don’t miss it. If I remember correctly, it’s in Arlington Cemetery.

Jerusalem

I’ve heard for many years about the many tunnels under Jerusalem. The following article has pictures and video and lots of info:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/memorial-day-through-the-lens-of-combat-cameramen/

Hezekiah’s tunnel is even mentioned in the Bible. See:

2 Kings 20:20
As for the other events of Hezekiah’s reign, all his achievements and how he made the pool and the tunnel by which he brought water into the city, are they not written in the book of the annals of the kings of Judah?

Someone in my writing group wrote of walking through Hezekiah’s tunnel while she was in Israel where members of her group were shouting Marco Polo.

Well, off to reading…

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment