Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Star Spangled Banner

In a previous post (January 28, 2011), I spoke about Francis Scott Key writing the Star Spangled Banner:

It’s the same sky in which the American flag flew, inspiring Francis Scott Key to pen “The Star Spangled Banner.” The poem was originally called “The Defence of Fort McHenry.” “At the twilight’s last gleaming,” on September 13, 1814, during the War of 1812, Key watched the bombardment by the British of Fort McHenry during the Battle of Baltimore. The fort was attacked all night long. Key was amazed and delighted to see the American flag still flying over the fort “by the dawn’s early light” on September 14th, despite all of the “rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air. “

In a post today, Sarah Palin wrote about visiting Fort McHenry. You can read about this at:

http://sarahpac.com/posts/fort-mchenry-baltimore-md-5-slash-30-slash-11

Until reading this article, I didn’t know that “When the commander in charge of the fort had taken command of it, he had commissioned to be made “a flag so large that the British would have no difficulty seeing it from a distance.””

Today, I paid my rent for another month. My huge electric bill was a big problem - $34.00 – sorry, just kidding.

I went to the library and picked some more Kellerman Howard books. Since I’m already more than half way through Bones by Jonathon Kellerman, I guess you can figure out what I’ve been doing most of the day.

Now, off to bed.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment