Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Expendables and A Trip to Sarasota

This morning, my friend Karen and I went to see The Expendables, the action-adventure film starring Sylvester Stallone (he also directed the film), Jet Li, Jason Statham, Randy Couture, Mickey Rourke, Dolph Lundgren, Steve Austin, Terry Crews and cameos of Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I just saw on the Drudge Report (www.drudgereport.com) that this film beat out Julia Robert’s Eat, Pray, Love movie, which is kind of ironic because The Expendables also stars Julia’s brother, Eric Roberts.

It was action-packed, included car chases, lots of fights, several instances of knife skills in use. I enjoyed it thoroughly. It will keep you on the edge of your seat.

After the movie, we decided to hook up Homer (my Tom Tom GPS with Homer Simpson’s voice) and see if he could lead us to Pontillo’s Pizzeria. The GPS said it was about 52 miles from the theater to the restaurant. It was a beautiful day for a ride – for once, the weatherman was right and there was no rain. We went down via Rte 75 and came back via Rte 41 and 301 to Parrish, then back on I-75.

Well, I’m glad to say Homer found Pontillo’s and it was just as good as the one in Canandaigua. In my opinion, they have the best pizza and wings I’ve ever had, although Anthony’s rates right up there and their pizza and wings are so different, you might call them a different type of food. On the wall there, there were pictures of the various Pontillo’s in the Rochester area and yes, the one in Canandaigua was pictured there.

The fellow making pizza (I think he was the owner) was surprised we had come so far. He jokingly said he was glad he didn’t know about how far we had come before he cooked our food, that he would have probably botched it because of the pressure. A very friendly place to eat.

I plan on scoping out attractions in the Sarasota area and combining a trip there about once a month to eat at Pontillo’s and go sightseeing. First on the list will probably be Mote Marine Lab and Aquarium. Second may be Sarasota Jungle Gardens.

I can hardly wait until September.

After I got home, I did 3 loads of laundry and took a nap. I really needed the nap.

I haven’t planned what I’ll do tomorrow yet, but I think I’ll probably just stay home. Of course, it’s my prerogative to change my mind.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment