Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Glad Reunion

Today, I had an email from my sister-in-law Rose that a dear friend passed away Monday. Floyd Conklin was 97 years old and, according to his obituary: “with the knowledge and assurance of eternal life through his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, entered his eternal home, Monday, August 2, 2010.

Throughout his life, Floyd was a wonderful example of how a Christian should live. His wife Mary was a skilled organist/pianist and a terrific, thought-provoking Sunday School teacher. Mark’s family has had close ties to the Conklin family for as long as anyone can remember and I had the privilege of getting to know them through Mark. Floyd and Mary had three daughters: Mary, Margaret and Helen, great people in their own right. Floyd will be greatly missed and those left behind will be sad at his passing, but, as I told Rose, imagine the glad reunion going on right now.

My Nikon D70

For many, many years I have been an avid picture-taker. I say picture-taker as opposed to photographer because there is still so much I don’t know and can’t do.

My less-than-perfect pictures cannot be blamed on my camera. Many times, it takes acceptable pictures because it is such a good camera and has many built-in helps. This is in spite of the person operating it, not because of it.

The Nikon D70 is a digital, SLR camera. It has interchangeable lenses and can be set up for every possible shot. Quite frankly, I have been kind of overwhelmed by so many ways to do everything. For example, there are 7 vari-program modes, including Auto, portrait, landscape, sports, close-up, night landscape and night portrait. (I may not be calling them by their exact name, but you get the idea.) There are also four standard camera modes: Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Full Manual. A number of settings, such as aperture, shutter speed, whether the flash goes off, etc. are defaulted based on the mode you chose.

Sorry to drone on and on, but I think you can see my dilemma. Today, I happened to come across a video on the D70 that I’ve had since I got the camera. I’ve watched it before, but that was before I even used the camera. The introductory portion of the DVD made so much sense today. I think I’ll watch at least part of this video every day for the next month or so—at least until I’ve mastered what is on the DVD. After a month or so, I’ll just have to find some talent for photography around somewhere.

Camping World

Camping World called to say that they had repaired my camper. I’ll pick it up in the morning and then will face the challenge of backing into my designated parking spot here at the park. DON’T WORRY! – THERE ARE NO ELECTRICAL OR WATER HOOK-UPS TO BACK INTO. After that, I’ll probably have to spend a half day unloading some of the stuff still in there. I’ll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment