Sunday, August 15, 2010

An Unusually Productive Day

Yep, that’s what it says. Today, I have accomplished the following:

  1. Changed the batteries in my atomic clock and the sensor that is fastened to my back porch.
  2. Washed my bedding and remade my bed
  3. Scanned the more than 60 tapes and 2 DVDs that were on Mom’s shelves
  4. Modified the scanned photos to fit on eBay
  5. Posted 21 of those tapes out on eBay

The only problem with doing all of that is I didn’t get time to take my nap – oh well, maybe I’ll sleep better tonight than last night.

I decided today that I would close my eBay store as of 9/30/2010. I’d like to sell as much as possible before that. I hope to begin getting rid of the excess furniture around here ASAP, including dressers, lamps, my player piano, and other stuff I won’t be able to take with me in my camper.

The only way I’m going to get this done is by doing it. How profound! But it’s very true. I’m using the method of deciding the day before what 3 things I will do the next day. Weather permitting, at least one of these 3 things will be something outside, such as putting sealant on my ramp, installing my new window box, cleaning up the junk around the outside of my home, cleaning out my shed, and on and on and on.

Tomorrow I plan to:

  1. Post the 40 or so remaining tapes on eBay
  2. Clean up the area under my bird feeder, including picking up the boards I had left over from the ramp repairs and pulling the corn stalks that grow under and around the bird feeder from seeds the birds drop
  3. Spend at least 1/2 hour packing up the stuff in Mom’s bathroom

If I can keep this up, I’ll be done before you know it.

By the way, last night in the Lewis and Clark journals, they were both talking about salt springs that apparently occur naturally in creeks and rivers that empty into the Missouri River. While I had known there were salt deposits inland (such as the salt deposits under Watkins Glen), I never even thought salt springs might naturally occur in rivers and creeks. To my surprise when I looked salt springs up on Google, I found a lot of references.

Another interesting item last night was the reference to punishment wielded for various missteps of the crew. Two people were assigned 25 lashes each on their bare back; one was assigned 50 lashes. I was glad to hear that those assigned 25 lashes were able to avoid them by good behavior, but saddened to read that one was punished by the application of the 50 lashes.

There must have been a lot of game along the area where they traveled since there were several reference to multiple deer and even bear killed. I don’t know if I mentioned that when game was plentiful, most of the men ate as much as 9 pounds per day. Yes, NINE pounds of meat per day. Think of what Mayor Bloomberg and the rest of the food police would say about that. The Corps of Discovery would probably have been locked up.

How much different life was in 1804.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment