Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Rainy Day Activity

Today, due to the extremely weak tropical depression number five, I knew we would have a lot of rain and possibly wind. In view of that and the rather sleepless night I had, I decided to pretty much goof off today. I know, I know, you’re wondering how that is different from any other day. :)

After getting 4 packages ready to mail, three of which went to eBay buyers, I left the house and went to see Ramona and Beezus, a wonderful film you could take your kids to without any regrets. The story was enchanting, the characters endearing and like all great movies, I laughed, I cried, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I can’t believe I almost didn’t go see it. Since I went before noon, I only had to $5. Since I had to go to the post office and Best Buy anyway, I consider the cost almost free. John Corbett of Northern Exposure and Josh Duhamel of the TV show Las Vegas were in it, but I didn’t recognize anyone else.

As I told you yesterday, Verizon did not send an adapter cable that goes between my 3G card’s external antenna and the modem. I was sure Best Buy would have it; they didn’t, but sent me to the Verizon Plus store in Regency Square mall, right around the corner from the theater and Best Buy. To my great surprise, they didn’t have it either, but assured me the Verizon Wireless store would have it.

The Verizon Wireless store is located where Rio Bravo/Johnny Carino’s used to be. Jonathon, the salesperson I spoke with, checked and they didn’t have it either. In fact, Jonathon told me there wasn’t one in a store within 500 miles of the place. He very kindly took my money and ordered it for me. He didn’t give me an idea of when it would be delivered.

While waiting for the movie to begin, I read more from The Journals of Lewis and Clark. Fascinating stuff. If you have even the slightest interest in history, I think you would be intrigued also.

The part of the book I was reading today took place before the Corps of Discovery left the St. Louis area. It outlined Lewis’s trip down the Ohio River from Pittsburg. The river was very shallow at that time of the year and they had a lot of trouble getting their boats down the river because of the riffles. They would get hung up on these riffles and often had to hire horses or oxen to help get them through. However, they did manage to travel between 10 and 15 miles a day. Yep, that’s right – 10 to 15 miles a day. I’m sure we who are used to traveling that far in less than half an hour can’t really appreciate the tough time they had. I expect it’s only going to get worse.

Tonight, the electricity went off in the middle of The O’Reilly Factor. It was off so long, I took a little nap and woke up a little after 9:30.

If it’s not raining tomorrow, I may head over to Busch Gardens for a few hours.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment