Sunday, November 21, 2010

Goodies

Today, in prep for my trip to my brother’s, I made 3 batches of peanut brittle and a bunch of white-chocolate covered pretzels with peanuts and c’raisins. I also nuked some bacon and covered it with some regular chocolate. Of course, in the course of making all of this, I was required to do a lot of tasting. :)

Doing this allowed me to continue to empty my freezer, in this case, of 2 bags of peanuts and 5 packages of almond bark – 4 white chocolate and 1 regular chocolate. I still have about 4 cups of raw peanuts left, but I think I’ll try roasting them in the oven tomorrow, if I get the time. I may try some spices on them – I’ve never done this before, but it shouldn’t be too hard.

I have to take my truck to the Ford dealer at 7:30 tomorrow morning and then my camper to Camping World at 1 p.m. Sometime during the day, I have to do my laundry and pack the truck. Tuesday’s the big day.

I sure am glad I wasn’t planning on flying to my brother’s. Actually, I doubt I will ever fly again – my wings are old and frail.

This new hassle over scanning and pat-downs is a real dilemma for everyone. We, as Americans. have already given up a lot of freedoms in the name of safety. It seems to me the TSA and Homeland Security are about as effective as dogs chasing their tails. Rather than concentrating on the people flying, they seem to spend all of their time on what those passengers might be carrying or hiding on their person. Box cutters to knitting needles to nail clippers to liquids and on and on.

Let’s do some intelligent profiling – not racial or ethnic profiling, but a consideration of who the passenger is. Why treat a senior citizen or small child who has never flown out of the country in the same way as someone who came here from another country or has spent time in countries where people train as terrorists?

I think we need an honest, no-holds-barred debate on what the best measures would be to allow for safe flight and maximum freedom, not a political debate, but a debate on the issues.

Well, I have a book (The Risen) I’d like to finish tonight so I’d better get reading.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment