Thursday, December 2, 2010

Camper on Site without Backing-Up Incident

I was so proud of myself today because I went to Camping World, paid the enormous bill (a little over $1400), hooked it up, and brought it home where I backed into a campsite and did NOT back over the utility pole. Too bad about that old lady – just kidding!

I wore both knee braces and was able to get around fairly well though I am suffering a little bit for it now. There’s quite a bit to setting up a camper:

  • Back it into the correct space at the correct angle (this took me a little while)
  • Make sure it’s level
  • Put the tire chocks under the tires
  • Get out the support pads for under the four stabilizing jacks and the hitch jack
  • Wind down the stabilizing jacks
  • Unhook the chains
  • Unhook the spring bars and take care of it (after taking out the lynch pin –Elwyn’s not around the unhook it with the pin still in)
  • Unhook the sway bar and take care of it
  • Unhook the electric cable from the truck
  • Adjust the hitch jack
  • Hook up the electric cable to the pole (using a 50-amp to 30-amp converter and surge protector)

Tomorrow, I’ll have to finish the following steps:

  • Hook up the water and water filter
  • Hook up the sewer hose
  • Move stuff from the the house to the camper and take care of it (I figure this will take about 2-3 weeks) if I can even find a place for everything

As the time shortens for when I’ll be leaving, I feel both excitement and a little trepidation for embarking on this new adventure, mostly excitement. So many places to go, so many things to do.

Well, it’s going to be another cold night. About 3 this morning, it was 38 outside and 60 inside. By 6 am it was still 38 outside, but inside it was 58. I caved in and turned the heat on. It got up to 70 within about 2 hours.

Right now, I’m in the middle of watching a Roy Rogers movie. As a kid, I never realized how unrealistic all of the gun-fighting was. Six-guns that shoot 25 or 30 rounds and marksmen that can hit the eye of a gnat from 200 yards WHILE RIDING A HORSE! I still love those old movies, though, and enjoy listening to Roy sing. Do you remember that Roy and Dale had a little girl named Robin who died at an early age of Downs Syndrome. Dale wrote a book about it called Angel Unaware. If you haven’t read it and can find a copy, I know you’ll enjoy it.

Well, back to my movie.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment