Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Today, for the first time in years, I actually got to see snow. In fact, it’s snowing right now. Those big white things in the picture are snowflakes.

Christmas 2010_0009

Needless to say, it turned pretty cold this afternoon. We went this morning to Golden Corral thinking we would have a nice breakfast brunch. Instead, they were serving Christmas dinner. It sure was good. We’ll still have a big dinner tonight. Jeff is perfecting his turkey-brining technique. Doesn’t it look good?

Christmas 2010_0003

That’s a 5-gallon bucket with the brine and turkey in it. He puts vegetable broth, water, ice, spices, brown sugar and a lot of salt in the bucket, then adds the turkey. It sits in the bucket for about 8 hours before he bakes it. A 14-pound turkey with this technique should probably take about 2 hours – amazing, isn’t it.

I found on my camera a few pictures I took when I was at Epcot Center last Sunday, a colorful portrayal of some very well-known Disney characters.

Christmas 2010_0004

Mickey and Minnie welcome the guests.

Christmas 2010_0005

Pluto won’t let you take his bone.

Christmas 2010_0006

Donald was there but I didn’t see Daisy anywhere.

This morning, I took some pictures of the family and presents:

Christmas 2010_0001

My Sister-in-law’s mother Grace, my nephew Chris (he’s a First Lieutenant in the U.S. Army), and my nephew Greg, who lives and works in Atlanta.

Christmas 2010_0002

Then, there’s my sister-in-law Kathy and my brother Jeff. Since most everyone was up until 3 this morning, he’s the only smart one – taking a nap while he can. I only stayed up until 1 this morning. We were playing cards and then spent some time learning how to play Frackle – a game played with 6 dice.

I got a lot of nice presents, including a plush throw and a compact camp kitchen which I know will come in handy.

My cousin Ethelyn sent me a picture of her husband Elwyn with the longhorns Ethelyn’s daughter Susan sent him. Since they’re in New York, the snow is not surprising. Aren’t those horns neat?

Elwyn with Longhorns

Again, Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment